Pregnancy is the most important stage in any woman’s life. While most women find this to be the most beautiful phase as well, there are others who are physically or medically weak and need special care and attention while they are expecting. The fetuses in such cases also need to be constantly observed till successful delivery. This is where a baby heart rate monitor really helps you as a mother.
When is a baby heart monitor used?
Fetal death is common all through the world. The causes for this are mostly unknown, resulting in either abortion or stillbirth. Usually, very little fetal movement over a long period of time is an indication of impending fetal death. But since just the symptom is not enough to predict immediate consequences, the mother usually undergoes an ultrasonographic examination.
While this technique gives accurate results, it might be advised that the unborn baby’s cardiac activity be measured at regular intervals. A baby heart rate monitor is employed at this stage.
Baby Doppler monitors
Baby Doppler monitors, as they are also referred to, examine the fetus’ heartbeat. This handheld ultrasound transducer detects the baby’s heartbeat from outside of the woman’s body.
This device, which consists of a probe that is placed on the mother’s belly, receives the sound and amplifies it to the main gadget, so that all present in the room at that time can hear it.
Since the sound is much louder than an average stethoscope, it can help the medico detect even the slightest irregularity in the heartbeat of the baby and possibly even identify the cause of the same. This helps the doctor in charge take quick remedial action, which might help save the fetus at just the right time.
Ensuring the unborn baby’s safety can also many times, helps the mother’s wellbeing as well. So this offers a double advantage.
How baby heart rate monitors function
- These devices can hear and record the baby’s heartbeat, movements and even hiccups. Some products can let you listen to your little one as early as 8 to 10 weeks into your pregnancy. Baby movements will be recorded after 21 weeks of conception.
- Many of these devices even present visual feedback of the heartbeat, along with a neat display.
- Mothers could also record their own heartbeat and play it back to the baby post delivery. This technique is known to calm most newborns.
- Baby heart rate monitors are very small and light and so they are extremely portable and can be carried around anywhere at all with great ease.
- These devices run on batteries, so you will have to keep a stock of them around, or purchase rechargeable batteries for the same.
Most popular baby heart rate monitors
The most popular fetus heartbeat monitors include the BellyBeats Fetal Doppler, the BellyBeats Digital Fetal Doppler Baby Heart Monitor, the Sonotrax Basic LCD Fetal Doppler, the Bebe Sounds Prenatal Heart Listener, the Deluxe Prenatal Heart Listening System and the Babycom Home Doppler Fetal Hearbeat Monitor.
These baby heart rate monitors differ in price and features. Generally, the prices range from $25 to $150. The more expensive ones come with more features and can also detect the fetus’ heartbeat much earlier on into your pregnancy.