Embroidery, as we all know, is a handicraft, which involves ornamenting fabric or other material using a needle and thread, yarn, pearl, sequins, beads, quills or even metal strips. With the advent of the Industrial Revolution, people started relying on machines to embroider wonderful patterns. But now, thanks to computer technology, almost all of this fine work is performed digitally, using embroidery digitizing software. Here, we bring you tips on choosing the embroidery digitizing software that best fulfils your needs.
How does embroidery digitizing software work?
Special embroidery machines are available in the market today, that hold the fabric frame firmly in place and also move it automatically for it to create a design from a pre-created digital embroidery file. While manual sewing machines can work only with one needle at a time, these advanced machines contain several needles, that can be threaded prior to the running the design.
Most of fine embroidery today is done by means of a computerized embroidery machine using these digitized patterns and clever embroidery software. This is also capable of changing the look of the final product, giving it different fills and textures to the original design. Embroidery digitizing software is widely employed to add logos, monograms to business shirts, gifts, team apparel, household linens, draperies and so on.
Choosing the right embroidery digitizing software
Embroidery digitizing software can be used for personal and commercial purposes. There are innumerable software available both in the market and online, each one offering different features, pricing schemes, discounts and freebies. How do you choose and purchase the right one for your needs? Read on for more….
- An online search lists many sites that offer embroidery digitizing software free of charge. The problem here, though, is that you might get limited features with your software. Also, in most cases, customer support will be unsatisfactory.
- Do not choose unlicensed software, as the money will most likely not be refunded. Also, you will not get warranties and upgrades from such software that might actually be pirated. Therefore, opt only for licensed software.
- A lot of licensed companies offer free demo software. These are great, as they help get you familiar with the product. But you will have to pay up to become a registered user, after your trial period expires.
- Auto-digitizing or auto-punch software, as they are called, are available at cheap rates. But professional embroidery digitizing software are much more costly. Hence, you will first have to decide on a budget and then proceed ahead.
- Determine the exact features you are looking for in your embroidery digitizing software. Some types of embroidery digitizing software only let you use scanned images, whereas others also let you download images from the Internet. Also, check out the design variety offered by each software.
- Check the kind of software that is compatible with your PC’s operating system. This helps you prevent hassles arising from using non-compatible software.
- Find out if the company offers you upgrade options. Even if you are only looking for basic designs, it is always advisable to upgrade your software from time to time.
- It would be best to approach a retailer and take a look at the embroidery digitizing software and discuss its features with the retailer. This way, you get a feel of the software before purchasing it.
- If you intend to purchase your software online, make sure that it is a reputed company, with a valid URL and efficient support and customer service too. Do a bit of research about the company, participate in online forums and find out how it rates among users. Also ensure that the payment process is safe and hassle-free as well.
- Read through all the terms and conditions mentioned on the company’s Website and go through and understand the fine print. If in doubt, enquire with the company about their shipping policy, refund, payment methods and so on.
Scroll below for a video clipping of how embroidery digitizing software works.