iOS and Android are Operating Systems developed by Apple and Google respectively. If you’re not familiar with the term ‘Operating System’, here is the definition -
An operating system (OS) is software, consisting of programs and data, that runs on computers and manages the computer hardware and provides common services for efficient execution of various application software.
Apple iOS is an operating system based on Mac OS X. The iOS was developed specially for the iPhone, but this was later used on other apple gadgets as well. The iOS platform is currently being used only on the Apple products, Apple doesn’t permit the use of iOS on third party hardwares.
Apple iOS is a great platform and most of the users don’t take more than 10 minutes to fall in love with it. The iOS is user friendly and provides a very good interface to the user. The multi-touch gestures of iOS are known for stealing the heart of geeks.
As of September 1, 2010, the App Store of Apple contains over 250,000 applications. Those applications are developed for the iOS. The 250,000 applications have been downloaded over 6.5 billion times till September 1, 2010.
Android is an operating system which was developed by Android Inc. This operating system is based on an advanced version of Linux Kernel.
Android operating system is getting quite popular lately. The upcoming Tablet PCs and mobile phones are using Android as the platform. There are several communities of users who develop the applications for Android OS. Currently, there are more than 70,000 applications which are available for Android.
Android OS is picking up the pace and is being used in almost every other upcoming gadget. So, it is believed that Android OS will soon be having many more applications.
I have recently conducted a survey in my college and I came to know that most of the users like the interface of iOS and they believe that iOS is much better. However, there are many more updates which will soon be available for the Android OS.
So, according to the survey about 65% of the geeks are a fan of iOS and find iOS much better than Android. The rest 35% does have faith in Google. So, when it comes to user-friendly interface, iOS is believed to be better than the Android. I have personally used both of them and I found iOS better in terms of multi-touch gestures and friendly interface.
I would love to know about your personal views, which OS do you use and which one of them do you think is better? Use the comment box and share your thoughts with us.